If you upgrade from an existing version of Sage Employee Self Service to the premium web version of Sage HRMS with Sage ESS. Its possible the older version of the existing version of Sage Employee Self Service remains on the server program Control Panel > Programs and Features. For example, you may notice one instance of Sage Employee Self Service (v 10.70571, version may vary) which is the older Sage ESS version alone with the new version premium version of ESS (v 21.100901 Q2_2023) if upgrade to Q2_2023.
Several factor that may cause a remnant of older versions of Sage ESS after an upgrade display in the server Programs and Features.
- The program installer could not detect registry keys associated with the Sage Employee Self Service program.
- Depending on your window’s user security permission level, the Sage ESS program installer may not have sufficient access to the older Sage ESS program files during the first prompt to reboot the ESS server during installation which trigger the uninstall of the older ESS files.
- you may have noticed this prompt during upgrade. “ Unable to determine previous Employee Self Service install location. You may be able to resolve this by un-installing the prior version manually or contact Sage Customer Support”.
This prompt indicates the installer could not identify the previous Sage Employee Self service program files due to the reasons listed above or other unknown factor the Sage ESS program does not have control over.
How to remove the older version of the Sage ESS after upgrading?
Please note before you start, we recommend:
- Verify that Sage HRMS has been installed and is working correctly.
- Verify that you have Administrator access (Local Administrator access is preferred) and permissions to log on as a service, launch processes, and access Sage HRMS data.
- If you are using Sage HRMS Employee Self Service and/or Open Enrollment, make sure all enrollment periods are closed, and that all users have exited and logged off from Sage HRMS and Sage HRMS Employee Self Service.
- Make any necessary preparations for this, it will require a server restart.
- Back up your Sage HRMS_Live database.
- Back up any applicable Sage HRMS Payroll databases and Sage Employee Self Service database.
- Copy or save a screen shot of your company’s product information referenced in the System Maintenance by login to the Sage Employee Self Service server , select Programs > Employee Self Service > System Maintenance. Save a screen print of the information from the Configuration and Settings tab or collect this information before your start uninstalling the older version of Sage ESS.
- On the Configuration and Settings tab, in the Employee Self Service section, select the Locked check box, and click Save.
Access the Sage ESS server, Control Panel > Programs and Feature, verify if the older version of Sage Employee Self Service exists. For example, you may notice one instance of Sage Employee Self.
Service (v 10.70571) the older Sage ESS version alone with the new version premium version of ESS under the name (Sage HRMS Web v 21.100901 Q2_2023) if you upgrade to this version. Right click on version Sage ESS v 10.75071 (version may vary) select uninstall.
You will receive a prompt “You must restart your system for the configuration changes made to your Sage Employee Self Service to take effect. Click Yes to restart now or No if you plan to restart later”. Click Yes to restart, confirm you can login to Sage ESS after rebooting the server.
Refer to Sage Employee Self Service Installation and Setup Guide for Pre-installation Setup and System Configuration requirements.