The use of Biometrics is rising as an advanced layer to many personal and enterprise security systems.
Although Biometric identity processes have made many cautious about its use as a standalone authentication method, modern cybersecurity is focused on reducing the risks of passwords usage for this powerful security solution.
Traditional passwords have long been a point of weakness for security systems. Biometrics aims to answer this issue by linking proof-of-identity to our bodies' unique characteristics (e.g., fingerprints, retina profile etc.) and behavior patterns.
Biometric systems apply measurements or physical characteristics that can be used to identify individuals. For example, fingerprint mapping, facial recognition, and retina scans are all forms of biometric technology, but these are just the most recognized options.
The following steps explain how to setup the Biometric features in Sage 200 Evolution:
Phase 1: Install the Digital Persona device driver
1. Open the Sage Evolution installation directory.
2. In here, browse to the sub-folder called Biometric.
3. Now copy the file called UareU _Windows_3.4.0.zipand paste it on the desktop of the local PC.
4. Extract the ZIP file and you should notice the content.
5. Open the SDK folder. Inside notice the X86 and X64 folders. The X86 folder is used for a 32bit operating system of Windows and the X64 folder is used for a 64BIT operating system of Windows.
6. Open the specific folder that is specific to your Windows operating system version.
7. If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, open the x64 folder and then run the setup file so that the drivers can be installed.
8. When done, login to Evolution with the Admin agent.
Phase 2: Connect the physical, Digital Persona device to the local PC
Connect the device using the USB port on the local PC.
Phase 3: Initial setup of the biometric interface
1. Login with agent Admin into the Evolution company.
2. Go to Administration | Agent Administration | Agents
3. Edit the first relevant agent that needs to be configured.
4. On the agent Profile, select the option Use Biometric and then click the Setup button.
5. Select the Digital Persona driver name and select the Device option marked below. When done, click the Enroll button.
Phase 4: Scanning setup of agents’ fingerprints
1. The first agent places his/her finger that will be used in the future (for the biometric logon) on the biometric device to be scanned.
2. After a successful finger scan, you will see an image of the finger with a green background. Save the changes. Press OK to continue.
3. Note that the first time you place your preferred finger on the Biometric device, it will show as per the screen below, with the fingerprint displayed on the middle screen first.
4. The same agent will now place the same finger on the Biometric Device for the second time. You should see the same result as in the screen below.
5. You then need to place the same finger on the Biometric device for a third time to be scanned again.
6. When done, save the current agent profile and log out of the company.
7. Open the company and login with agent Admin into the Evolution company.
8. Go to Administration | Agent Administration | Agents.
9. Edit the second relevant agent that also needs to be configured and repeat the steps above.
Ensure that the specific agent is with you as his/her fingerprint needs to be physically scanned.
10. Please also note to first wipe the physical scanning device before using it for the next agent.
11. Repeat the scanning for all relevant agents who needs to have their fingerprints scanned.
Phase 5: Logging into the Evolution company
1. On each local PC where a biometric login needs to be performed per agent, ensure that the scanning device is locally connected, and that the Digital Persona device driver has been installed as in Phase 1 above.
2. On the main Evolution company logon screen, the local workstation’s agent select only his/her relevant agent’s name as well as the relevant company name. Don’t enter the agent’s password.
3. The agent can now use the biometric device to scan his/her fingerprint.
4. Doing this will cause the Evolution company to be opened.
5. Note that if the biometric device is not connected, or if the relevant agents’ fingerprints that are usually scanned, are ‘damaged’ in some way and not scannable, the agent/s can still logon to the company in the usual way. This is done by selecting the agent’s name, relevant Evolution company and capturing the agent’s password.