The batch server is stopped… but it’s running! (Version 11, patch 14)


Web server Version: 11.19.1-0
SAGE X3 Version: 11.0.14 (Patch14)
Runtime: R080.003.00001


Perhaps someone of you has suffered this issue. It seems that the batch server is stopped (Status = stopped) … but it’s running!!

Checking the list of tasks and I realized that the “Standby” task are being run and new tasks are being created. I’ll show you with an example (Task number 2868445):
Query 2868445 standby

Query 2868445 finished

When I try to start the batch server, it returns the next error: “It is impossible to start the batch server.”

And when I click on the “Diagnosis” button the following message appears:
3/17/2020, 4:03:52 PM : It is impossible to start the batch server.
3/17/2020, 4:05:21 PM : Execute the 2868451 query on the server with the 7872 client.
The batch controller X3UAT is running on host XXX-V11-UAT (pid:11628) and can handle 40 queries.

After killing the 11628 process in the Syracuse server, the batch server can be started with no errors.

Do you know what is happening? Could you help me?

Thanks in advanced,

Nacho Alférez.

  • 0


    Have you already restarted the server that X3 is installed on?

  • 0 in reply to Rafael

    Hi Rafael:

    I can't restart the server. I could do it... but it's assumed that I don't have permits to do that.

    That could be the problem, because I'm not sure if the IT team restarted the server when the patches were applied one month ago. I will ask them.

    I think we can restart the server because it's a test server. I'll keep you posted.


    Nacho Alférez.


  • +1 in reply to Nacho_Alferez
    verified answer


    I suggest reporting this to Sage support as this is most likely a defect that is occurring. 

  • 0


    Thanks for the solution.

    Managed to hit the same issue as well.

    Checking with the clients, seems like it was caused by one of the Windows Server's usual forced update restart.

    The alternative method I did is to stop Agent Syracuse and Runtime, then start Runtime and Agent Syracuse, in that order.

    Stopping both should be sufficient to flush out all the web X3 stuff over final measure of full server restart.

  • 0 in reply to chunheng

    Necroposting again since this issue keeps reoccurring even in X3 v12p31.

    To catch the problem, use these settings in Global settings:

    You could optionally turn x3Query to Error but I prefer to set debug.

    Sync up with the client to notify immediately when Batch Server entered Stopping state.

    Wait until it occur.

    On occur:

    - Check the Syracuse log.

    - Check the Batch Server Diagnosis to see which query is still running.

    - Check the Query Management and confirm which of the many queries are preventing the Batch Server from stopping. Cross-check with Recurring Task schedule and confirm if it is Recurring Task configuration or the Task's code issue.

    To resolve:

    - Make sure to kill the query pid and not the Batch Server's pid.

  • 0 in reply to chunheng

    For Sage X3 syracuse REST API call, see below to get batch server diagnosis message: